Saturday, October 01, 2011

French Fry Diary 275: Aquaman #1 2011

Anyone who knows me personally knows a big comic book geek I am. I've maintained a comic book review site, done monthly reviews of the Avengers family of comics, and I currently do a weekly vidcast about new comics. One of the most exciting things happening in the comics industry right now is DC Comics rebooting their line with fifty-two new number one issues. One of the most anticipated of those issues is Aquaman.

I love Aquaman, and I'm not the only one. If you don't believe me, check out my friend Rob Kelly's terrific website, The Aquaman Shrine. Joke if you like, non-believers, but the man's time has come, Aquaman is cool. Of course, I've always known that, and now that the rest of the world is catching on to that, DC Comics has given the king of the seven seas a brand new series, and brought on two of the industry's finest to produce it - Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis. Trust me, these guys are superstars in their field.

Aquaman #1 came out this past Wednesday, only days after the character's 70th anniversary, and in my opinion was the absolute best of all the new fifty-two comics. Of course, you might wonder why I'm writing about Aquaman here on French Fry Diary, besides my obvious passion for the comics and the character. Oh trust me, there is a method to my madness.

In the sequence pictured here, Aquaman visits a diner he and his father frequented when he was a kid. He orders fish and chips. Yeah, baby, that's right, Aquaman likes French fries. I knew there was a deeper reason I loved Aquaman.

And if you think that's odd, think harder about it. When Aquaman lived on land in his youth, he would've eaten the same things most humans eat, and that would include fish (and French fries!). And when he took on his destiny as King of Atlantis, really, what do you think Atlanteans eat? Of course they eat fish, there's only so much seaweed and kelp you can eat. Protein is needed, ya know?

Seriously, Aquaman rocks. Buy the comic. Visit the website. After all, the man likes French fries.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

rob! said...

Thanks for the multiple plugs, GW!

Unknown said...

No problem, man, your passion for Aquaman is probably equal to my passion for fries - so it's a good match.