Tuesday, April 10, 2012

French Fry Diary 359: Alexia Beer Battered Onion Rings

Now, other than Mrs. Paul's Onion Rings which I just can't find in the frozen grocery section anywhere any more, Alexia makes the best frozen onion rings. They have a panko breading that makes for a perfect crunch. But these aren't either of them, and I'm also not fond of beer batter. That's not good when I haven't even opened the box yet.

Like many potato chips I've reviewed, these rings have a whole bunch o' names. Officially they are "All Natural Alexia Gourmet Quality Crispy Beer Battered Onion Rings with Sea Salt." They also have a number of other adjective-like phrases on the box as well like "made from real Spanish onions" and "craft beer battered." I'm out of breath, and I'm only typing this stuff.

Well, the good news is that they have zero transfats. Tastewise, they are still beer battered onion rings. They are thinner than most however and that equal crispiness. I tried them deep-fried and baked, and other than the former being greasier, there wasn't much difference. They are better than most, and even better with barbecue sauce or sprinkled with seasoned salt or paprika.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: